Together, we can
change the world
ABOUT THE SOUTHERN AFRICA INNOVATION COLLECTIVE
The Southern Africa Innovation Collective (SAIC) is a unique, cohesive body of innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem supporters that work together to have a lasting positive impact on innovators and entrepreneurs across Southern Africa. Originally founded as the Connected Hubs initiative by the Southern Africa Innovation Support Programme in 2017, we serve as a community of learning and an innovation and entrepreneurship support network currently spanning five SADC countries.
As an organisation:
- Our diversity is our strength.
- Our unity creates great opportunities for ourselves and our benefactors.
- Our collaboration is our secret to success.
- Our co-creation leads to unique learnings and innovations.
- Our inclusion drives growth and integrity for all.
- Our sustainability efforts ensure our bright future.
What We Offer
- Referrals to non-funding and funding instruments
- Access to our unique training, mentorship and capacity building workshops
- Exclusive access to our unique networking events and pitching competitions
- Access to our expert advisory services about innovation and entrepreneurship in Southern Africa
- Access to our unique diverse business development services.
- Opportunities for impact investors who are keen on supporting the growth of innovation and entrepreneurship in Southern Africa
- Linkages to our unique local, regional, and global networks and markets.
SAIC is governed by a secretariat led by the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA, South Africa), with a central management team run by TIA, GEN Namibia, and These Hands GSSE (Botswana). The management team is supported by an advisory board and local champions or focal points in each constituent country.
The management team is responsible for oversight of and coordinating various teams in implementing of SAICs activities. This includes capacity building, peer learning, advocacy, fundraising, and monitoring and evaluation. The advisory board provides strategic guidance to the management team, and comprises notable members appointed from outside of SAIC.
The secretariat’s leadership and the management team are appointed by a vote held every two years.
Our National Focal Points
Botswana Innovation Hub under the Ministry of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology is an innovative and networked organization that promotes technology, entrepreneurship and commercialization.
The National Technology Business Centre [NTBC] is a statutory body under the Ministry of Higher Education established to be a dynamic Institution that supports and promotes technology transfer, commercialization, and innovation in unlocking Zambia's competitiveness and deliver social economic value.
Established in terms of section 4 of Research Science and Technology Act, 2004 (Act no 23 of 2004), the National Commission on Research Science and Technology (NCRST) is an engine of economic growth and development, through the promotion of Research, Science and Technology.
Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH) was established by the Act of Parliament No. 7 of 1986 to be a prime driver of sustainable development through building and supporting a strong system of sciences, technology and innovation for sustainable socio-economic development in Tanzania.
Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) is a national public entity that serves as the key institutional intervention to bridge the innovation chasm between research and development from higher education institutions, science councils, public entities, and private sector, and commercialization.